Dogs of War
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeDoW PortalGalleryLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Red Dead Redemption

Go down 
+4
Brashin
lucasicool
hotdog_fingers
xChelseaSmile
8 posters
AuthorMessage
xChelseaSmile
Clan Member - Sergeant First Class
xChelseaSmile

Time Zone : EST

Red Dead Redemption Empty
PostSubject: Red Dead Redemption   Red Dead Redemption EmptyMon May 24, 2010 9:32 am

This review is unbiased. The reason for saying this is because everyone knows i was excited as HELL for this game. But I've never liked Rockstar games before this, so this review is strictly from my personal view on THIS game alone.

Red Dead Redemption Red-dead-redemption-game
Story:This games story itself isn't that original. It's a classic tale of Revenge, with a fair amount of plot twists and a satisfying flow. The story itself would be rated average, but because of all the original characters and dialogue, it's getting a better score. Every person you meet has something to say, and it's almost always interesting. That plus the hilarious/awkward/scary characters they have you meet throughout the game makes everything that much more interesting.
4/5

Graphics: Graphics in this game are amazing. The landscapes NEVER feel like a videogame. From the cactus placements to the 40+ animal species and their voice overs and personality, this game succeeds insanely in the graphics/realism department. The character models are good, but random characters don't look amazing. The mouth movements are solid, even while actually playing, and the day/night/weather cycles are really cool. Exploring vast landscapes and arriving in new unexplored towns could never be more fun in this beautifully crafted game world.

My only problem is that you are still sometimes reminded that it's a videogame. Being stuck in rocks, having horses just spaz out of control and fly across the map, clouds not moving, and circular objects not actually being fully circular, but created up of several lines forming a circle make the graphics not a perfect 5.
4.5/5

Gameplay:
Man is this game ever fun! The story starts off slow, but I felt that it set the mood perfectly for the world. So in that respect its perfect. The game has you travel vast distances and enter several different cities/towns and even 2 different countries, all in search of a man. The best part about the missions in this game is that, for the most part, they don't feel unnecessary. Grand theft auto 4 always felt like you were doing the mission PURELY to take up time to make the game appear longer, but everything you do in this game(with the exception of a few missions) feels generally realistic. The gun mechanics are awesome and a HUGE improvement over GTAIV, and the side quests don't cease to amaze in this game.

The story itself is only about 20-25 hours long, but you won't get through 2 missions without being thrown into a random situation where you can choose to help save a man being hung from a tree or just watch him die. You can do a HUGE amount of side things like play several different games ranging from arm wrestling to poker, and even hunt/skin animals for some cash.
5/5

Multiplayer:
This is where the game falls sort of short. I can't complain that much because the single player is AMAZING, but I would have liked more in the multiplayer.

The good:

Free roam: Allowing you to jump into a 16 player game that gives you the ENTIRE game world to explore and play in is just awesome.

Leveling up: I love when games aren't just shoot and kill. I like accomplishing something and being able to level up is awesome.

The average:

Modes: There aren't many game modes to play. You have Free for all with a few varations like capture the flag, and then team gameplay with variations as well. Nothing too original/spectacular.

The bad:

I can't really blame rockstar for this, but..

Lack of teamwork: NOBODY does the objective. This makes me hate multiplayer. Every team I'm on it's this...: 5 guys camp and shoot anyone that walks around, while I(MYSELF) run and do the objective(grabbing gold) etc. It's so frustrating being the only one trying to win.

Matchmaking: Why did they screw this up? The matchmaking is damn near broken. Look at matchmaking on a game like Modern warfare or Bad company 2. You choose a gametype, and then click X. You are instantly thrown into a game filled with people. NOT RED DEAD!

In red dead, you tediously have to enter Free roam, then press Select and choose your game type(while trying to not get killed...). Then you are transported to a waiting screen where you beat eachother up. (entertaining at first, but useless after the first time.) THEN you are put into the stand off. (Fun...VERY fun). Then you are thrown into the match.

Once you actually get into the match you notice there is only like 5 people in the entire game. If you can have 2 teams of 8, why is it that I'm NEVER in a game with full teams?

PUT ME IN A GAME THAT HAS TEAMS FILLED, NOT A NEW GAME WITH ONLY 2 PEOPLE.

The whole joining a match thing takes way to long, and a simple menu with game types and autojoin would have been WAY better.
3/5

The multiplayer is entertaining when you are in a real match, but the idiots you play with, lack of gametypes, and lack of QUICK (full team) joining makes the multiplayer not worth 60 bucks.

Final score: 4.5/5

This games absolutely mind-blowing, but the multiplayer (unessential) takes off 0.5 points.[center]
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/axblissfulxsuicide
hotdog_fingers
Clan Leader - General
Clan Leader - General
hotdog_fingers

PostSubject: Re: Red Dead Redemption   Red Dead Redemption EmptyMon May 24, 2010 7:20 pm

Good review Chelsea...I agree with whole thing. I few multiplayer improvements will make this game incredible.
Back to top Go down
https://dogsofwar.forumakers.com
xChelseaSmile
xChelseaSmile

PostSubject: Re: Red Dead Redemption   Red Dead Redemption EmptyTue May 25, 2010 2:28 am

thanks Very Happy and yeah for sure.
Back to top Go down
lucasicool
Clan Member - Staff Sergeant
Clan Member - Staff Sergeant
lucasicool

Time Zone : Eastern Standard Time

PostSubject: Re: Red Dead Redemption   Red Dead Redemption EmptyTue May 25, 2010 6:23 am

good job bud... was gonna do this review myself... thanks
Back to top Go down
xChelseaSmile
xChelseaSmile

PostSubject: Re: Red Dead Redemption   Red Dead Redemption EmptyTue May 25, 2010 11:29 am

Oh, sorry man. Sad
Back to top Go down
Brashin
Clan Member - Private First Class
Brashin

PostSubject: Re: Red Dead Redemption   Red Dead Redemption EmptyTue May 25, 2010 8:07 pm

Nice review,

I am most disappointed with the Multiplayer. The SP is good but the MP falls waaay short. The free roam gets very boring very fast. All there is to do is the gang hideouts and yes there are challenges but I wanted the things you can do in SP to be in MP, things like online poker, co-op missions (for the whole storyline) horseshoes, the ability to buy things in the game like in SP, etc...

I know rockstar will come out with DLC that adds some co-op stuff but I want to basically be able to play the SP game in MP like you could in Saints Row 2. Now the other gamemodes like capture the flag/gold, TDM, things like that you really dont buy this type of game for. You buy it for the story and the missions as there are other FPS that do those other modes 100x better. But what they don't do is the free-roam and that is where I think they missed the boat.
Back to top Go down
hotdog_fingers
Clan Leader - General
Clan Leader - General
hotdog_fingers

PostSubject: Re: Red Dead Redemption   Red Dead Redemption EmptyTue May 25, 2010 8:28 pm

Couldn't agree more.
Back to top Go down
https://dogsofwar.forumakers.com
whatsit2yah
whatsit2yah

Time Zone : pst

PostSubject: Re: Red Dead Redemption   Red Dead Redemption EmptySat May 29, 2010 6:57 am

nice review smile,story 5/5 online 2/5
Back to top Go down
schmo114
Brigade Leader - 1st Lieutenant
Brigade Leader - 1st Lieutenant
schmo114

PostSubject: Re: Red Dead Redemption   Red Dead Redemption EmptySat May 29, 2010 7:43 am

great ass review
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/firefiend666
XxDA-SHADOWxX
XxDA-SHADOWxX

PostSubject: Re: Red Dead Redemption   Red Dead Redemption EmptySat May 29, 2010 9:23 am

i like the review and would git the game myslef if there was a First Person option.
Back to top Go down
xChelseaSmile
xChelseaSmile

PostSubject: Re: Red Dead Redemption   Red Dead Redemption EmptyThu Jun 03, 2010 10:45 am

Thanks guys. I didn't know I was an okay reviewer until your feedback. Appreciate the encouragement. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
LethalMenace
LethalMenace

Time Zone : Eastern Time

PostSubject: Re: Red Dead Redemption   Red Dead Redemption EmptyFri Jun 04, 2010 2:48 am

Awesome review i would say and MP definitely fails hard compared to SP but all together I love RDR
Back to top Go down
https://s1040.photobucket.com/albums/b407/Lethalmenace92/Avys/
xChelseaSmile
xChelseaSmile

PostSubject: Re: Red Dead Redemption   Red Dead Redemption EmptyFri Jun 04, 2010 2:49 am

Yeah. The multiplayer is entertaining, but not lasting. Sad

And nicee balmung.

I <3 .hack G.U. so much.

Azure kite is effing amazing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Red Dead Redemption   Red Dead Redemption Empty

Back to top Go down

Red Dead Redemption
Page 1 of 1